Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Tale of Two Lizards~


The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a person from the snares of death~ Proverbs 13:14 NIV

Early last fall, my son Alex brought home a rather weird surprise: a teeny, tiny lizard we promptly named Larry. Larry was no bigger than a quarter and super cute (for a reptile). Larry was captured when he made the rather reckless decision to hitch a ride on Alex’s pant-leg as he was walking home. I am not generally a fan of lizards but this little guy was so lively and endearing that even I was taken with him.

Sweet little Larry, clawing at the glass


 Then we had to decide what to do with him. I have a firm no-reptiles-in-the-house policy, so keeping him inside was out of the question. After much debate and discussion we decided to release Larry into our back yard. It felt like a decent solution; Larry was free to do his lizard thing out in the wild where he belonged and we still got to see him from time to time.

Everything was good until Larry discovered the swimming pool. Pools are a huge temptation for lizards. It’s easy for them to get in and they love the water. It’s all fun and games until their cold-blooded bodies adjust to the cooler temperature of the water. Then they become sluggish and too weak to escape. Unless a kind-hearted human comes along to fish them out they inevitably drown.

Larry loved the pool. The first few times we found him in it, he appeared to be drunk with pleasure at having found his own private oasis in the desert. That is, until the fateful morning I found him well, um, floating. As I fished little Larry out of the pool for the last time it occurred to me that Larry needed an Ichabod in his life.

Ichabod is the name I have given to the lizard that lives in our front yard. He is really big, very old, and extremely ugly. He’s lost his tail so many times that it has grown back crooked, thus the name Ichabod, which means “The glory has departed.” Ichabod may be ugly but he is also wise and very clever. He spends most of his days in the tree in my front yard, where he has an ample supply of bugs to eat and is well camouflaged from predators. He steers clear of the pool, preferring to get his water from the drip irrigation.  He is very wary of humans; you would never catch Ichabod attempting to hitch a ride on a pant leg.

A rare sighting of Ichabod


The other day as I was leaving the house I caught a rare glimpse of old Ichabod lumbering toward his tree. It got me thinking about the importance of passing on insight and wisdom to future generations. Like little Larry, many young people in our culture are in danger of being sucked in by alluring temptations and ideas that appear to be a sweet deal but in reality are deadly snares.

The Bible speaks about the necessity of mentoring, or of older Christians passing on truth regarding life and faith to younger believers (Deuteronomy 6, Proverbs 1-7, 1st Timothy 6:11-12,Titus 2) and yet such mentoring has become more and more of a rarity in churches and even families. There are some practical explanations for this reality. We live in a busy world. Carving out time for relationships is difficult. Older believers often feel unqualified to offer advice and are reluctant to do so. Our churches are frequently segregated in such a way that the generations rarely cross paths.

Practical explanations aside, there are other factors that play a part in our lack of intergenerational communication. Younger believers can be stubbornly certain that they have life all figured out and often bristle at even the most gently offered counsel of older Christians. On the other hand, mature believers can be, well, cantankerous and intolerant at times. It’s easy to forget that we too were once young and smugly certain that we were right and the older generation was out of touch.

Much has been written on the subjects of cultural transformation and the need to bring Millennials back into the church; I am convinced that friendship is the key to turning things around. Building relationships can be challenging. It requires an intentional effort on the part of the older generation. We have to be the ones to make the first move. The burden for fixing the mess we’re in is on the forty and older crowd.

I have learned from experience that one of the issues that can make intergenerational friendships challenging is the level of insight that young Christians have. They can spot someone who views them as a project and will flee from anyone who is not really interested in authentic friendship. Young people are skilled at identifying legalistic junk. Older Christians who want to mentor must be willing to sort out which of their standards and beliefs are cultural and which are biblical. We must cling persistently to the biblical and willingly discard the cultural.

 Older believers must stick to modeling and teaching the stuff that really matters. Such as the need for discernment when it comes to entertainment and worldview, the importance of preserving family, the art of applying biblical principles to real-life situations and—perhaps most importantly—we need to model spiritual discipline and teach young people how to provide their own spiritual food.

 As I watched old Ichabod lumber off my front porch I was reminded of the older Christians who have guided me through my journey. I thought of a wise older woman named Teresa who taught me that parents who have fun with their kids are more likely to keep them on the right path. I thought of Jim, a Bible teacher whose giftedness and love of Scripture inspired my own passion to teach and Sheila whose stubborn confidence in the power of prayer has inspired me to pray for situations that appeared on the surface to be hopeless.  

My Mother-in-law also came to mind; her sincere esteem for her husband helped me to understand the role that respect plays in lasting marriages. I thought of Sharon, a godly older woman who saw leadership qualities in me long before anyone else did and helped me to refine them.

 I took a moment and thanked God for the saints who have faithfully demonstrated truth in season and out of season and for those who were bold enough to firmly but lovingly set me straight when the need arose. I am deeply indebted to those men and women and I pray that their tribe will increase.   

Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come~ Psalm 71:17-18 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment