Translate

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Working Through the Pain of Waiting


 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord~ Psalm 27:4  

The warm weather in Tucson during the winter months causes the population to explode from October thru April. People come from all over North America to escape icy road conditions, puffy coats and close relationships with their snow shovels.

The fleeting population boom is a godsend for business owners. They adore the snowbirds and the money they bring to our area. My husband so looks forward to the increase in sales that in early November he prays fervently for blizzards on the East Coast. Judging from the weather reports this past winter, we can all safely assume my husband is praying some powerful prayers these days.

For those of us who don’t own or manage a business, the increase in population is far less thrilling.

 As the population surges, everything takes longer. Traffic becomes a daily drama. There are more people, and the people don’t always know where they are going or how to get there. So a ten-minute commute transforms into twenty on most days. The wait time at restaurants doubles, and you can forget about running in and out of the grocery store or the doctor’s office.

Waiting patiently has never really been my thing. For a long time one of my favorite phrases was…

“Can’t you just hurry up already”?

When my young children began repeating that phrase to one another I came under some heavy conviction. I recognized that I had some pretty ugly entitlement issues when it came to getting things in what I saw as a timely manner.

After some prayer, I began the process of forcing myself to behave in a way that was patient and gracious whenever I had to wait in a long line, or for my turn at something I felt I shouldn’t have to wait for. Eventually acting patient and gracious morphed into (usually) feeling patient and gracious.

I am now enough of a grown-up that waiting on the small stuff doesn’t get to me like it used to. I can (usually) endure having to wait through three green lights to make my turn or a forty-minute wait at my favorite restaurant with a measure of civility and grace.

 Recently, I have begun to wonder if God thinks I could still use some tweaking in this area.  I have found myself waiting for what feels like a really long time for some big prayers to be answered.

 Waiting is hard. Whether we are waiting for a long awaited answer to prayer, a much-needed change of circumstance or for another person to have a change of heart, waiting is never easy. The delay I’ve experienced is teaching me to wait like a spiritual grown-up. Opening myself up to this process has helped me see waiting in a new light.

In John chapter eleven Jesus receives the news that his friend Lazarus is critically ill. Jesus does the opposite of what we would expect Him to do upon hearing the news that His friend is terminally ill. He waits. Then He waits some more, and then He waits some more. Jesus waits two full days before taking any sort of action on Lazarus’ behalf.

On the surface Jesus’ deliberate dawdling seems mean, almost malevolent. Jesus possessed the power to change Lazarus’ situation as quickly as He chose to. He could have healed Lazarus from a distance if He wanted. He had done it before, but He chose not to.

The words of some onlookers at Lazarus’ graveside reflect our own feelings of frustration at times…

Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying? John 11:37 NIV

What no one but Jesus knew at the time is that Jesus’ decision to wait rather than act immediately was actually a sign of His favor on Lazarus and his sisters. Jesus chose to reveal His glory to and through this family in a way that no one before or since has experienced. Their temporary pain at having to wait for something that seemed essential to them became a story that has brought millions to faith in the God they loved.

 It seems to me that God must have been doing some work in the hearts of Mary and Martha during the four days they waited for Jesus to show up. Those four days of waiting must have felt like hell on earth, but they were really a refining process. The family learned to accept God on His terms rather than their own. It was something they needed to learn to prepare them for the next thing God had for them.

Rather than a punishment, waiting is sometimes a sign of God planning something bigger or better for us. Other times waiting is part of a refining process. The wait time is an indicator God’s desire to something in or through you that can only be done with the passing of time. 

I am learning that waiting like a grown-up means holding on to hope and walking in faith. It means believing that God is good and is working out His purposes as we wait on Him.  I am learning that waiting can be a difficult but necessary refining process that will prepare us for the next thing—if we let the process do its work.

But I pray to you, Lord, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation~ Psalm 69:13 

No comments:

Post a Comment