Translate

Sunday, July 20, 2014

An Unlikely Teacher

Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways~ Haggai 1:5

 Bianca D. is not someone I have ever actually met, but she is someone I know a lot about.  As well as her name and city of residence I have learned that she…

Has some fairly liberal political leanings  
Purchased furniture recently  
Likes animals 
Has an active social life    
Struggles with commitment issues  

 Before judging, you must understand that I did not acquire this information as a result of my naturally inquisitive nature. I learned all this because Bianca D. passes off our phone number as her own to everyone she meets in Southern Arizona.

Over the last two years I have fielded countless late night phone calls from the lovestruck men she meets in bars. There have been some snappish exchanges with the manager of the furniture store where she “purchased” her sofa and the garage where she got her car worked on.

 On a more cheerful note I have had some rather amusing conversations with the volunteers from the animal shelters and political organizations that she has made pledges to. Bianca D. is a big-hearted girl who really needs to work on her follow-through when it comes to charitable donations.

Yesterday’s call was a robocall from a bill collector.  A robocall is when a computer-generated voice calls from a number that appears to be a local cell number.  When you answer, the computer politely invites you to return the call so they can make arrangements with you to collect their debt.

The relentless nature of these calls is wearisome. There have been days where we have gotten up to three calls from the same company at all hours of the day and night. The logic behind these tactics is maddening. Is anyone actually naive enough to believe that someone who would knowingly welch on a debt would go to the trouble of calling an 800 number to make arrangements to repay it?  I think not.

Yesterday I was cranky enough to return the call and let the company know in very clear terms how felt about Bianca D. and their nonstop attempts to reach her.

I informed the nice man on the other line that…

I am not Bianca D.
I have never met her.
I do not wish to receive any more phone calls for Bianca.
Bianca D. is probably not the kind of lady who was likely to return their calls.

Once he understood that I was indeed who I said I was, he was much more eager to end the discussion. When the conversation ended, I still had some things to say and no one to say them to.

So I started thinking. In the beginning my musings were less than Christian and entirely focused on my vexation with Bianca D and her ne'er-do-well ways. I was and continue to be seriously irked with that woman for skipping out on her obligations and creating unnecessary drama in my life.

And then it occurred to me. Bianca D. is not the only one who has been guilty of generating drama for others. It’s a crime we are all guilty of at one time or another.  I have never knowingly lied about charitable pledges, welched on my financial obligations or given fake numbers to unsuspecting men in bars. 

  I have, however…

Willfully involved myself in affairs that are none of my concern~ Proverbs 26:20
Acted selfishly~ James 3:14-16
Repeated things that should not be repeated~ Proverbs 17:9
Spoke too quickly~ Proverbs 18:13
Used words that hurt rather than heal~ James 1:26

All of these offenses appear on the surface to be less mean-spirited and spiteful than Bianca’s financial and relational shenanigans. In reality they are just more socially acceptable than Bianca D’s antics.

I am amused at how God works: a woman of rather questionable character whom I have never met has taught me some important lessons and reminded me of some hard truths. Bianca D. has shown me the importance of thinking before speaking, and to seriously consider all potential outcomes of my actions. Her lack of consideration has reminded me that we are all connected and that every action, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential, has an impact on others.

Bianca D. is an unlikely teacher, but an effective one.

She is also welcome to use a different number.
   

Be very careful, how you live—not as unwise but as wise~ Ephesians 5:15   


No comments:

Post a Comment