Translate

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Oh, the Places We Don't Want to Go

Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made a road in the depths of the sea so that the redeemed might cross over? Isaiah 59:10 NIV

This last week I had an experience that was pleasant and rather thought provoking. My husband and I packed up the kids and visited a city we lived in nearly two decades ago.

We spent two glorious days relishing the cooler mountain temperatures and behaving like tourists. We explored some fantastic art galleries, bought some cute stuff, enjoyed a blues festival and indulged in some of the best Mexican food we’ve eaten in years.

The trip eventually morphed into a journey down memory lane. We drove past the Church we attended while we lived there, ate in some restaurants we used to enjoy, and drove the kids past the tiny house in the horrible neighborhood we lived in back in the day. The sights, sounds and smells of our old city brought back a lot of memories.

Silver City, New Mexico was not a place I wanted to go when we went there twenty years ago. It was a place I knew we needed to go, but that didn’t mean I had to like it.

Prior to our move I was pretty content with my life. We lived in an area I loved, went to a Church I was happy in and had lots of really great friends who were very much like me in every way. Life felt safe and comfortable and I liked feeling safe and comfortable.

All that aside, our situation was less than perfect. The kids were small, our marriage was relatively young and my husband was in a dead-end job. And we were broke.  We were too-much-month-at-the-end-of-the-money and searching-the-sofa-cushions-for-change-the-day-before-payday broke. Our financial situation colored every other aspect of our lives.

Opportunities were essentially nonexistent in the town we lived in. So when a job opened up in a little town in New Mexico we knew in our hearts it was the stepping-stone to the bigger and better things that we had been praying for.

I would love to tell you that I joyfully leapt at the opportunity that God graciously provided and embraced the experience with an open heart and splendid attitude. I won’t tell you that because I refuse to lie.

 I whined and grumbled like an overindulged six-year-old. I focused entirely on the negative and took complaining to heights that would have shamed the Israelites wandering in the desert. Eventually, I did come to accept the changes, but sadly I failed to really embrace or welcome the experience.

It wasn’t until many years later that I finally understood how deeply I was impacted by those years. Silver City was a delightfully diverse little town. For the first time in my life I was exposed to all kinds of different people from all kinds of different races and backgrounds. We joined a wonderful Church with a Pastor who was not afraid to explore tough issues or confront wrong thinking.

The believers we met in that little community of faith forever changed my understanding of what it means to be a Christ follower. Their commitment and passion was something I had never really witnessed before. They challenged me in a million different ways to think about life and God and faith in ways that I had never considered before.

 Growth and change is nearly always awkward and uncomfortable, and those years were frequently both. Two decades after the fact I can clearly see that I came away from that brief period in my life a richer person with a deeper faith and better understanding of how the world works. I sometimes wonder what I would have gained if I had embraced the changes fully and sought to grow through the challenges rather than simply endure them.

 As I mulled this over I was reminded of other places I’ve gone that I did not wish to go. It’s all too infrequent for me to voluntarily go to the places that are painful or where I am required to confront the foolishness of my own choices. I sometimes avoid going to a place where I can forgive my enemies. After all these years I still resist going to the places where I have been asked to take on a task or an obligation that feels hard or unpleasant.  

God reminded me this past week that change seldom occurs in the comfortable, easy places. It’s the difficult, painful and uncomfortable places that bring the greatest prospects for spiritual growth and the development of maturity and wisdom. I will try to remember this the next time I find myself in a place that feels safe and comfortable.

  

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance~ Psalm 16:6 NIV










No comments:

Post a Comment