Translate

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fear or Faith?


 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap; they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” Luke 12:22-26

I’m not ordinarily a fearful person. I worry from time to time about all the normal stuff that everybody worries about: money, the health and welfare of my family, etc. and since we got to Arizona I worry occasionally about finding a snake on my front porch (it happens here). But I’ve never been one to worry excessively. Recently that has changed.  

We live in scary times, scarier than anything I have seen in my lifetime. Wars, rumors of wars, unemployment, eroding moral and ethical standards, the national debt, mass shootings and a nation that is sharply divided over political and moral issues… If I really want to get myself worked up all I have to do is think about the fact that future generations are stuck with the unholy mess that we’ve made of this world. All I have to do is turn on the news or read the paper and I get apprehensive.

The words of Jesus in Luke 12:22-26 caused me to rethink my current tendency to stress about things I can’t control. Jesus’ position on worry is pretty straightforward. I suppose it’s because He knows better than anybody that worry changes nothing and often ends up cheating us out of blessings.

When we allow fear to overtake faith we are inclined to take matters into our own hands without consulting God and wise human counsel. Often we end up exchanging a bad problem for a much worse one. A scriptural example of this is found in 1st Samuel. 1st Samuel 27:1 says: David thought to himself, “One of these days I will be destroyed by the hand of Saul.”

 The text says David “thought to himself” it’s really code for David got freaked out and started to worry. Honestly, David had reason to worry; when he began his stint as a fugitive from Saul he was a young guy with few responsibilities. At this point he is no longer young: he has two wives, and a large group of men with families that he is responsible for as their leader, and Saul is ruthlessly hounding him. It would be a lot to deal with.

So David got busy and went to Philistine territory and had a meeting with the King of Gath (a known enemy of the Israelites). The King allowed him to take refuge in Philistine territory under the condition that he would go to Israel everyday and kill Israelites. For obvious reasons David was unwilling to comply with this condition; instead he spent his days wiping out entire Philistine communities and lying to the King about his activities. As you can imagine, David’s “solution” created all kinds of crazy drama (and guilt).

 David’s actions only served to further complicate his already complicated life. Christians can be guilty of the same type of sin. For example, women who enter into marriages with unbelieving husbands because of loneliness or fear of never getting married or businesspeople who compromise their values for the sake of fitting into their corporate culture.

I have learned first hand that one of the greatest perils of worry is that it steals our ability to live in the moment and enjoy our blessings. There are people who approach worry with a superstitious attitude. They know that most of the stuff they worry about never happens, so they worry in an effort to prevent bad things from happening. A woman once confessed to me that she approached parenthood from that angle; she spent so much time worrying about her kids as they were growing up that she didn’t enjoy their childhoods at all. In fact, she barely remembered their growing-up years.

The greatest problem with worry is that it minimizes God as it magnifies our problems. God can become lost in the fray of our fear. That turns our worry into a weird form of idolatry, where we give our fear a greater platform in our lives than we give God.

The answer to worry is not to block out our problems or to simply focus on the positive. That is denial and it’s unproductive and dangerous. The first response to worry should be to focus on the things that are really a problem. Things that might possibly happen someday aren’t real problems.

 I have found that prayerful action and planning for the future helps to minimize anxiety. If you are worried about your finances, pray about it. Ask God for wisdom, seek wise human counsel and then do something! Cut back on your spending, find a second source of income, and pay off debt. If you are concerned about the state of your marriage get some godly help. If the behavior of your kids has you concerned, change the direction of your parenting. It’s not wrong to take action as long as we don’t sin in the process.

The most critical piece of overcoming worry is to really believe God for the future; especially when it comes to things we have no control over (like the state of the economy or the current political landscape). We must believe that God is still in control and believe that as crazy as the world has gotten it’s all a part of God’s greater plan and the turmoil serves a greater purpose. We must pray through our fear for the future and keep praying until the fear subsides. I will be the first to admit that trusting is not easy; but nobody honest ever said faith is easy.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

1 comment:

  1. This has been an interesting reading this post. I still worry, that will never stop. But I do know that God will provide and help me through these scary times. But I need to be honest, I have taken things in my own hands at some point, can't think of an example right now. But God helped me see that I need to trust Him, even though sometimes that can be painful. It's painful because I want to take things such as having a job into my own hands. But I think it comes down to the question of "Do we (I) really want to take matters into our hands and make God a weak God?" and in reality God is much more stronger, even stronger than the darkness that I have encoutered. I pray and hope by the grace of God my point gets through some how. Very good reading in very dark times.

    ReplyDelete